View Single Post
Old 03-23-2010, 07:20 AM
Candace

Originally Posted by flikkem
I am completing this same quilt - always loved the pattern and finally getting to it also. Yours looks great! My piecing went well, however, I decided to hand quilt it. I quilted around all the cats and now feel like that's not enough quilting. I don't have a stitch regulator on my Bernina so am hesitant to try free motion quilting - is that what you did? Any advice?
I do have a new Bernina with the BSR which makes life easier, for sure. But, I have also done quite a bit of FMQ on my Janome 9000. And I was happy with it. I would recommend doing it in a thread that wouldn't be easily visible, until you're happy with your skills. And practice a bit on a sample piece to get your movement and tension set. Even with the BSR I have to play with stitch length and tension. I found that when I did FMQ with my Janome it helped to listen to music :>

Is there a way you can add more handquilting? I'd be a tad hesitant to mix the two. Not that the quilt police will arrest you, but usually people stick with either machine or hand quilting on one quilt.