Old 03-23-2010, 07:38 AM
Lostn51
Banned

I was just wondering......

I myself have been asked that hundreds of times "Oh do you sell any of your quilts?" and I have always said no I just give them away. We all know that most of the quilts that we make if we sold them for what they are worth it would be in the thousands of dollars. Well now since I have a few under my belt and gotten the hang of it I am fixing to start my own "Quilting" business as such.

Everyone loves to go green and with all of the hype about it why not make a business built around recycling and helping to erase some of the carbon footprint.

This kinda ties into the "do you use sheets" thread because the answer to this for me is yes it does. Along with shirts,curtains, blankets, and cotton scraps. Plus they are all sewn on a treadle so there is no carbon footprint from the making of it.

I have ads on Freecycle and CL for cotton materials and I have talked to a couple of my neighbors, church members asking if they or anyone that they know have any old bedding, shirts and cotton material that they didn't use anymore send it on! Since the word has gotten out I am getting all sorts of things coming in.

Now the best part about it I can sell the quilts for a reasonable price because there is almost no overhead its all labor. I will have the price of thread to deal with but have you seen my thread stash?!? I already have 3 of them sold using my "Proud Mary" pattern and now I am being asked to do a bazaar with me bringing one of my treadles and working on a quilt while I sell them and take orders.

This little venture will not make me millions, but it will foot the bill for more sewing machines (you never can have too many treadles :mrgreen: ) and materials for my personal quilting habit. Who knows I might have a long arm before I know it..........

Billy