View Single Post
Old 03-23-2010, 11:31 AM
GailG

Originally Posted by Pamela Artman
Originally Posted by GailG
Gorgeous! Is the shirred border pieced or is it striped fabric? And was the shirring done with a machine attachment or was it done by pulling threads? "Inquiring minds want to know." {{{{{{{grin}}}}}}}}}
The border is a striped fabric. I basted along the edges and pulled the threads to gather it up. My girlfriend started to do one on a large quilt and she gave up and took it out. It was just too much gathering for a large quilt. So, if you do one, start small!! LOL
Thanks for the response, but I'm too old to sweat the big stuff like that. I just wondered if you had pieced the border and then gathered -- which would have been a monumental task.

I remember making the swing skirts with shirring between the tiers when I was a teenager. (We called them peasant skirts.) Lots of pulling of threads and spacing gathers! Now I've really dated myself, huh. That was in the fifties!! There is a ruffling attachment that can be used, but I've never figured out how much ruffling to do on how much fabric. :roll: So I'll stick to the simpler stuff. Thanks for sharing your beautiful work with us.