View Single Post
Old 03-23-2010, 01:32 PM
heather_campbell

Not to toot my own horn, but I made my veggie gravy again last night (we had it with a faux meat loaf) and my partner swears I could market it, it's so good.

Easy to make, great if you want gravy with your fries, mashed potatoes, etc or if you are Canadian and looking to make poutine:

7 tbsp margarine or butter
6 to 7 tbsp flour
3 1/2 cups vegetable stock (cubes or powder is fine, just make according to the package)
1/2 cup red wine
1/3 cup soy sauce (lite or Japanese style like Kikoman works best, if you're worried about it being salty, use low sodium)
fresh pepper to taste

Melt the butter in the microwave in a 5 to 6 cup pyrex bowl or dish. Add in the flour with a fork or a whisk until it forms a sticky paste. Slowly whisk in the wine, soy and veg stock so that there are no lumps. Add fresh pepper.

Bring to a boil in the microwave. I usually do around 5 minutes on maximum power and then probably another 10 minutes or so on around 60 to 70 percent power. During these remaining 10 minutes, stop the microwave every 3 or 4 minutes and whisk it so that nothing gets lumpy. You'll know it's done when it thickens up. Time will obviously vary based on how powerful your microwave is. This makes a fairly big batch, but it reheats really well.