View Single Post
Old 04-04-2007, 10:47 PM
live2teach

My mistake, I thought I had read somewhere about college, maybe not. LOL. Sorry! You are right, it isn't about the money, it definitely is not, it is about what makes you happy, and that is the bottom line. As for getting a job, it is hard as hell, either all of the good ones are taken or you just don't want to work certain places. I understand about the anxiety, it is nervewracking. When you have an anxiety attack, you feel like you're having a heart attack, seriously. When you keep having those, naturally, you're not going to want to do whatever causes them anymore. I hate it how high schools want you to know 100% what you want to do for the rest of your life. Here in WV, we had to know in middle school, what we wanted to do, I chose marine biology, I wanted to be a marine biologist and I would still love to. All of the classes I took revolved around marine biology, well then I met my husband and life happened and I changed my plans so I could stay in WV and do something else, this didn't bother me, I wanted to go to photography school and then go to become a massage therapist, but oh no, I couldn't live that down, my mom and others rode my behind until I went to college and had to pick something that I was going to spend the next 4 years of my life trying to pursue. At first, I had no idea, then finally I chose education, I love kids, I do. But I wonder if I would have chosen MY path to photography and massage therapy, what would have happened. I regret that I listened to them and didn't do what I wanted to do. I do not regret that I am becoming a teacher, I just hate the process. It is so much like high school but harder and so LONG.

I have worked since I have been 16. Non stop. I finally quit working in May of 2006. I was fed up with sexual harrasment and feeling like I was the babysitter at work. So I quit. Then I started making candles and purses, etc. I had to listen to my mom say when are you going to get a job, Heather, you need to get a job, etc, etc. This comes from a woman who has not worked or attempted to get a job in about 10 years or more. It's funny how easy she thought it was. I did try, before I started making candles. My candles and other items i make sell, but I do not have my own small business YET, but I will soon, and you know what, I am happy. I don't get a paycheck every 2 weeks, but my stuff sells, If I advertised more and actually had my business license, I'm sure I'd do great, but I am content right now. Besides, my husband doesn't like the idea of my having a job right now with school anyway.

So, do what you want, not what they want. If you wanna get a job, you will, if not, then you won't. Easy as that. Just don't settle for a job that you dread going to. It only makes things worse.