Thread: good machine?
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2010, 05:07 PM
Lisa T

I went through quite a few $200-$400 machines before I took the plunge and got my Bernina 430, which I LOVE. Three "cheapies" for sure- 2 from Sears and one from Walmart. The warranties were for CRAP! I expected that from Walmart, but not Sears.

You will get much better service going local than you will from any of the box stores. The Sears ones that I bought only had 6 month warranties, and guess how long one lasted? Yup, 6 months. They would have covered the parts, but the labor was more than a new one would have been. The other Sears one lasted a few years before literally wearing out. I did make a lot of quilts on it, to be fair, but that one was the pricier- I think $400-ish- one. They were both Janome brand, but possibly the Sears ones are not made to the same quality as ones a dealer would get? I don't know. I just am sort of soured on Janomes now.

I would suggest going used if money is an issue as you can get a lot nicer machine. If you go through a sewing machine dealer you can often even get a warranty on a used one. My mom has a Viking/Husqvarna that she loves and I have a Bernina that I love. So I know that in our family, those two brands have stood us really well. My Grandma's Viking is from the 1960s and still goes strong. Are there any dealers anywhere near you that sell either of those?