View Single Post
Old 03-25-2010, 12:24 PM
Olivia's Grammy

There is a lot of good advice for you in this thread. I teach weekly in my home. When I first started teaching I started with the teen agers from our church. I had a helper for the six girls. I was scared spitless and I'll admit it. I have always hated to be in front of a group. Now I limit my classes to 4. I had a new class start last month, it is only once a month on Sat for 2 or 4 hours. Even though I knew all the women but one I was very nervous. I had a long list of what I wanted to show/teach them. I started with the basics, the very basics like how to fold the fabric for cutting, how to use a rotary and stuff like that. One of the things I stress regularly is a clean machine. Everything I showed they then had to do it. After about 2 hours they could sew on what they wanted. The second class I reviewed a few of the things I had taught them last month. In this class I showed them how to clean their machines. The hours speed by, but I am exhausted when they go. I do give them a list of what they need to bring and asked that they bring more than they thing they'll need. I don't want them to run out of things to do. In my other classes this year I am teaching them a new block a month. At the end of year, they'll have a sampler. I told my new class about the block a month and they want to do it too.
Good luck and keep us posted.