View Single Post
Old 03-25-2010, 02:55 PM
Pamela Artman

Originally Posted by marta
Absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!
I have been wanting to do something with watercolors, but it will be awhile. Right now, I am trying to get some quilts done.
How did you choose the fabrics for it? That is something I would like to know about when you have a minute. You can send me a pm telling me how to go about it. I will probably make a smaller piece, since I have not ever worked with watercolor.
Marta
Thanks for the question! For this quilt, I collected some floral fabrics, some tone on tone cream colored fabric for the background, and some browns that would look like a woven basket. I used a fusible with a 2" grid marked on it. I cut all the fabric into 2" squares and then arranged them on the grid until I had a design that I liked. I just played with the placement of the floral fabrics, using the largest and most dense flowers in the center and fabrics that had fewer or smaller flowers with more vines for the outside edges. I used the browns to "weave" the basket and the handle so it looked like it went behind the flowers. Then I worked on the background, placing different tone on tone cream fabrics randomly around the basket. For the corners of the quilt I used florals again, going from lighter near the cream background and darker toward the corner. When I had all the squares on the grid, I ironed them down. Then you just fold the fusible on the marked lines and sew 1/4" from the fold. You do all the vertical folds, then clip into the seam allowance along the horizontal seams so it will fold horizontally, and then sew those seams. With this method, all the corners of the squares line up and match perfectly with no effort! It was fun to make. You can buy 2" watercolor squares already cut, but I cut my own. My girlfriend made an outdoor garden with a stone wall and a big arch with some "stone" fabric. I hope this helps!