View Single Post
Old 03-25-2010, 04:26 PM
Pamela Artman

I started teaching at church too! I was nervous, but after reading "The Purpose Driven Life" I could see that this could be my calling! And I loved it! Everyone was so nice! Almost everyone in the class was new to quilting, and most had never sewn anything before! I started with just an information night and I brought my quilts to show, and brought a big box of fabrics and talked about fabric selection and brought a bunch of fabric they could choose from my stash. I have so much and I knew that a few of the ladies could not afford to go out and buy new fabric. Then I talked about tools and showed them what each tool was and handed out a list of tools they needed and a second list of tools that were helpful, but not necessary. I showed them a sample of the quilt we'd be making in class and gave them a handout with all the fabric requirements. The quilt I chose was a sampler with 12 blocks (the quilt that's my avatar pic!) The second week, we covered rotary cutting and making a 9-patch. The next week was a checkerboard block, the following was a rail fence, then a log cabin. Then we added triangles with a shoo-fly block, and then a star. Each week I brought a new block pattern with typed directions and each block taught a new technique, squares, strips, y-seams, curves, and finally applique. By the time we finished the 12 blocks, they all wanted to continue and make their quilts queen size. I kept bringing block patterns with instructions, but they had all the skills needed to make any block they wanted, so there was very little teaching after that. The class lasted almost 2 years until I moved away. It was a wonderful experience and now I absolutely love teaching and don't feel at all uncomfortable in front of people. I'm sharing something I love and it's so much fun to see others "catch" the fever!