View Single Post
Old 03-26-2010, 09:52 PM
BrendaB

Location: Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana

Originally Posted by fabric-holic
I've been asked to help a "start up" quilt group at my church make their quilts. They didn't use the word "teach" but I guess that's what I'll be doing.
I don't want to.
I'll help them make them and remind them there's no quilt police, any "how to's" that I might know, etc.
"Guiding", "suggesting", that's what I feel comfortable with, but teaching?
They want me to be in front walking them through the process as each one of us individually make the same quilt.

Mostly they'll be for charity but they also want to make at least one quilt each year for auctioning to raise money to use for church things (helping pay bills for parishioners, repairs, new computers at the church, etc).

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for the above uses. And I'd love to help with the quilts.
But "teach"?
My knees are knocking.
I'm very much a wallflower. I love being in the shadows.
Our priest was standing there and told me, with a grin on his face, this might be God's way of helping me bloom. :shock:
Bloom??? I'm too old to bloom!!! :)
My grandkids should be blooming....

Anyway, I'm going to do it. Not because of the priest (who I'm suggesting gets transferred immediately to someplace horrible!! :-D )
but because I'm a sucker for quilting and want more people to see how fun and satisfying it can be, and what is a better way to spend an evening than surrounded by fabric, humming machines, common good goals, etc.
We can even bring our kids and grandkids to watch and "help". Fun.

I know I'm doomed....I'm going to do it.
How have other wallflowers dealt with this?
And where did you send your priest?
You are too precious! With your sense of humor and talent, you will be great! The only suggestion I can offer (as I, too, am a wallflower and hate being in front of people, or even in a room with lots of people), is to focus on the fabric, the tools, and/or one person at a time. Is there anyone you can take with you for support? That might help too. These people are going to love you and appreciate your willingness to help them learn something new. After the first few minutes, you will be so busy, you won't have time to think about nerves. Let us know how it goes, ok? You are going to be great!