Old 03-27-2010, 03:07 AM
raptureready

Originally Posted by Lisanne
Originally Posted by raptureready
Some of you probably already know the story but mine was salmon patties.
But for those of us who don't know the story, do tell!

Did anyone watch Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution on TV tonight? What a hard situation he's up against! But honestly, how could he expect the kids to choose roast chicken and celery sticks over pizza? And did you notice the meal they finally liked was fajitas - good stuff, but very similar in the kids' eyes to the junk food they're used to.

I loved the teacher who went out and got vegetables to teach her class what they were.
Mom's long gone now and bless her heart if she were here today and fixed salmon patties I supposed I'd still have to pass them up. I hated them--I like my own, just not mom's.
I was about 15 and I smelled them cooking. I knew I'd be listening to her about all the children in China that were starving and would love to eat those salmon patties. I saw something on my dresser and thought NO, Alfreda don't do that, she'll backhand you away from the table." I couldn't stop myself, I put it in my pocket. At the table mom passed the salmon patties to me and I passed them on. She asked if I wasn't going to eat them and I said I didn't care for any. That was all it took--the poor children in China.... Very calmly I reached in my pocket and laid some change on the table and said, "Mail mine to them." I was right, she did it. I ended up with my shoulders on the floor, my back against the cabinets, one foot on the stove and one in the sink. I was right too, it was funny and after the swelling went down I could laugh about it. I still laugh about it.
I don't know if the children in China continued to starve for salmon patties or not, mom never mentioned them again. She was a wonderful woman but she didn't take any sass or back talk.
And that's the story of the salmon patties.