View Single Post
Old 03-27-2010, 07:23 AM
Tippy

A is the fishie fabric
B is the Green fabric
C is the Yellow fabric.

#1 for each block we are going to need 4 fishies... 4 greens .. and 1 yellow.
#2.. this quilt is going to be queen/king sized.. so we're going to make it 6 blocks across and 7 blocks long.. that's 42 blocks total.
#3... for Color A we will need 168 of the 5" squares.. you get that by taking the 4 squares/block and multiplying by the number of blocks.
With me so far?? :thumbup:
Now comes the fun.
Figuring we're using 45" fabric we're going to be conservative and say we can get 40" (across) of usable fabric after taking off the selvages. Soo that means we can get 8 of the 5" squares across the fabric..
Now you take that 8 and divide it into the number of total squares you need of fabric A.. (168).. and that will give you 21.. that means you're going to need 21 rows of 5" squares. so if we multiply 21 x 5.. you will need 105" of fabric.. to cut out the squares for fabric A... and guess what.. you need the same for fabric B!!.. thank heavens finally something easy..lol...
Now for yardage we're going to divide 36" into our 105" needed and come up with 2 yards and 33 inches. Or as we all know 3 yards 'cause we're all about rounding up.
For Fabric C you need one square for each block.
That is 42 squares.. at 8 squares per row. we're going to take the 8 into 42 and get 5.2.. so since we're not into "fragments" of squares we're going to figure 6 rows. That is 6 x 5 or 30 inches of fabric.. so I would round up and spring for a yard of fabric. again giving myself some wiggle room for getting fabric straightened on the grain and allowing for poor cutting.. theirs and mine.
So far we've calculated that for a queen/king sized top we're going to need
Color A=3 yards
Color B=3 yards
color C =1 yard
Wasn't that easy????