Old 03-27-2010, 08:32 AM
Lisanne

Originally Posted by raptureready
Mom's long gone now and bless her heart if she were here today and fixed salmon patties I supposed I'd still have to pass them up. I hated them--I like my own, just not mom's.

I was about 15 and I smelled them cooking. I knew I'd be listening to her about all the children in China that were starving and would love to eat those salmon patties. I saw something on my dresser and thought NO, Alfreda don't do that, she'll backhand you away from the table." I couldn't stop myself, I put it in my pocket. At the table mom passed the salmon patties to me and I passed them on. She asked if I wasn't going to eat them and I said I didn't care for any. That was all it took--the poor children in China.... Very calmly I reached in my pocket and laid some change on the table and said, "Mail mine to them." I was right, she did it. I ended up with my shoulders on the floor, my back against the cabinets, one foot on the stove and one in the sink. I was right too, it was funny and after the swelling went down I could laugh about it. I still laugh about it.
I don't know if the children in China continued to starve for salmon patties or not, mom never mentioned them again. She was a wonderful woman but she didn't take any sass or back talk.
And that's the story of the salmon patties.
I am still laughing as I type this. ROFL, yes, you were right! Had I been your mom, I probably would have hugged you and teared up - and taken your money and donated it to feeding kids in China. (And let you eat something else.)