View Single Post
Old 04-05-2007, 12:11 PM
k_jupiter

Originally Posted by PurplePassion
Hi, How often have you taken your faithful sewing machine in for a tune-up? I have had my Singer for over 15 years and it has been sounding kinda rough and noisy. After a long time of procrastination, I took it in to my local sewing / vac dealer. They charge $59.99 for basic tune-up and adjustments. Does this sound like a fair price? She said it sounds like a gear is broke. Then it wouldn't be worth fixing ; but they would sell me a new one. Just how long should a machine last?
Elaine
Not worth fixing? 60 bucks os a good deal for a tuneup here in this part of the world. I think I payed 70 for my Elna. They also fixed a part that was broken, that cost me 80. then a gear broke as soon as I tried to use it. That cost me 20. So now I have a 40 YO Elna that sews as sweet as can be. As soon as finances allow, the Bernina goes into the shop. It's sounding a bit cranky now too.

SO the deal is. If it costs you 100 dollars to fix your singer, and you get 15 more years out of it, is that worth it, or do you need to buy a multi hundred dollar unknown machine made of plastic?

Only you know what you need.

tim in san jose

P.S. if a gear was broken, would it work at all? I think not.