View Single Post
Old 03-28-2010, 03:44 AM
Shorebird

Originally Posted by xraytechluvs2quilt
I just bought a viking embroidery machine and I'm not sure how to use embroidery in my quilt. Do you piece the sandwich together and then embroider or do you only embroider the quilt top? I know I would need a stabilizer for the quilt top, but what about the quilt sandwich? Does anyone have suggestions on how to quilt it with embroidery? I am so anxious to finish this quilt and want to embroider butterflies. Any help would greatly be appreciated! :( :roll:
Depends on how you want your quilt to look. I have a Viking Designer Diamond and a Designer SE (one sews while other is embroidering)....on some quilts, the embroidery is the design on the block, not the quilting. On others, it is the actual quilting. If I am using a design created for quilting, I put all 3 layers together, have good bobbin thread to match the fabric backing, and with the Do It All Quilter's hoop, I hoop all 3 layers (no stabilizer needed as you have the 2 layers of fabric and the batting) and let the machine do it's thing............I have never used stabilizer when quilting all 3 layers with a design intended for this purpose, and have never had any problems or issues...........the designs look great.........and a re far better than I could do free motion or by hand. Enjoy your new machine!!!