View Single Post
Old 03-28-2010, 05:35 AM
ghostrider

Originally Posted by hokieappmom
Hmmm. The quilt in my avatar is from a pattern I bought at a LQS that I imagine is protected by copyright. I always give pattern credit when asked about it. I have never copied or given the pattern to anyone else. But I didn't get permission from the company to post that picture. That isn't illegal is it? Just if someone else were to copy it and make another quilt?
If someone else were to copy your photograph without your permission, that alone would be illegal. You hold the copyright to any photo you take, though it MAY be shared with the copyright holder of the item you photographed.

Copyright is held in this country regardless of the owner saying so in some way, just as it is in many other countries. It is the registration of a copyright that gives you legally defendable protection, but you hold copyright as soon as your work is 'published'.

It's a catch 22: If you never make it available to be copied, you have no copyright...but then, you don't need one do you! You gain protection automatically the minute you need it. Simple as that.