Thread: Quilting Kudos
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2010, 06:58 PM
Gerbie

I have three extra special compliments for quilts I have made for others, the first for a dear widower friend and (ex neighbor) when DH and I were first married some 40 yrs. ago. We attended Church together and he had been battling cancer for several years. I don't know why but suddenly I knew I must make Bill a quilt. I made him a log cabin quilt and rushed to finish it because he was really getting low. I did it in less than two weeks a record in itself. I gave it to him on Thurs. and he passed away on Mon. of the next week. He loved it he said. His daughter in law told me he really thought it was extra special because she said he was cold that morning and wrapped up in the quilt and passed that way. I can only think it must have been special to him. The other was a quilt that I made for my best friend for her 70th birthday. I showed her some patterns, and some fabric, she picked both out, thinking that I was making the quilt for DH. I don't know where she came up with that idea. She was kept in the loop with the quilt, we work together as retired teachers doing math tutorial classes at a local elem. She knew I was on the finishing end of the quilt a few days before her BD. When her BD came along, on one of our workdays, I had a BD card and the quilt in a box, She loved the card and when she opened the box, stated, Oh! you finished Bob's (DH) quilt, I said yes, but it isn't his, it's yours, she cried. The next was a quilt for my youngest neice. I designed and made her a quilt for Christmas her freshman year at Tx. A&M with her collegiate colors and a photo of her Sr. pic. in the center. She was almost in hysterics, she was so excited. She would not take it with her to school, because she feared someone would take it from her dorm room. Gerbie