Old 03-29-2010, 06:53 PM
RatherB Quilting

Hi there,
So, I have undertaken a rather...ambitious...project. Some would call it NUTS...I call it ambitious. (My ambition may outshine my actual ability!)
To honor my Grandfather, who was with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, I have enlarged a picture of the hat badge to 26" X 22" and I plan on making it a quilt center. The badge has many little pieces, as well as a big'ol buffalo in the center, and I am struggling trying to figure out how to do all this. Is it kosher to use different applique methods on the same project? For example, for the larger parts that have black outlines around it, I was going to use the satin stitch to outline it. The smaller parts, like the pearls on the crown, I thought I might have to use needle turn (though I have never done that) because the pieces are so small. Alternatively, I could embroider the smaller pearls or jewels (though again...have never done that).
I thought maybe you fine folks might have some advice for me.
The kicker is, if I successfully finish this undertaking, I want to honor my other Grandfather who was in the Hastings Prince Edward Regiment with a quilt of the hat badge for that Regiment. That one has a elk AND a beaver!

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Here is a picture of the Hat Badge
[ATTACH=CONFIG]36007[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-36007.png