View Single Post
Old 03-30-2010, 11:42 AM
Prism99
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bettyd
When I sew two pieces right sides together, then turn them right sides out, the edges are never sharp (flat). Is there a secret that I am unaware of to get a smooth edge. I do try and wiggle the seam to the edge but I am not pleased with the look. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I don't understand what you mean by wiggling the seam to the edge.

There is always a little "turn of the cloth" when ironing seams to one side. The side that has the seams will be bulkier and the sewn edge on that side will be more rolled. This is really not a problem in quilts unless you have a complex block where many points meet. Batting and quilting take care of whatever unflatness there may be in the blocks after pressing.

You can get flatter seams by ironing the seams open, but that is usually done only when absolutely necessary to get precision points and joins because it is more work. With hand piecing, seams are usually ironed to one side because it relieves stress on the single thread and makes the piecing less likely to pull out. With machine sewn seams, however, pressing open is still strong enough to hold well. Some battings will tend to "beard" through pressed open seams, however, so that is another reason why quilters usually iron seams to one side.

Edit: Oh, rats! I did misunderstand. I am talking about pieced seams, and you are asking about turned applique pieces. Sorry!