View Single Post
Old 03-30-2010, 11:59 PM
airycat

I just went through several of the posts I found doing a search for "art quilt." I'm happy to see there are others here -- both experienced and newbie. I love traditional quilts, but it took me 15 years to make the big one I mad --big being a double, not a king!

I'm a newbie at this and I think what I want to do would be better classified as "fabric art," though I'm not really sure. Below is the only planned piece I've done so far and there is no quilting in it -- though, looking at it now I think I may add some. It's just a small thing, about 5" x 6". It has piecing, embroidery (tree branches), applique and felting. Fiberfill (clouds) and one sequin (the moon) are my only embellishments.

I'm planning a 3' x 2' piece. If I can do it the way I want to, it will have strong 3D elements to it and probably more of what I did in this little one. I'm starting to get excited about it because I'm beginning to see it clearly in my head. I need to finish up a crazy quilt book cover and an embroidery for my sister before I can get to it, but they should be done by mid April at the latest.

I'm always looking at things and thinking "That could be used for..." and not always fabric, either. I like to mix things up. I love color and texture. I want to recycle all kinds of things into art, but fabric is most often my base. (Of course, so far it's been only ideas, but I will be following through on whatever I can.)

First fabric art project
[ATTACH=CONFIG]38623[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-38623.jpe