Old 03-31-2010, 06:51 AM
Carol's Quilts

I used Martha Tompkins Better Homes & Gardens recipe for years and years except I didn't use sausage, I used poultry seasoning instead of just sage, and I didn't make the sauce.
It's really a good meatloaf.

Then my sister gave me this recipe which I like better:

1/2# ground beef
1/2# ground pork
1/2# ground veal

(With the price of ground veal lately, I've been using 1# ground beef with the pork and am just as satisfied.!

1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 large eggs, beaten
2 tsp. Worchestershire Sauce
Salt & Pepper
1/2 c. milk
2/3 c. dry cracker crumbs OR 1 1/3 c. FRESH bread crumbs
2 Tbls. chopped fresh parsley
2 tsp. mustard

Saute onion until softened. Add garlic. Saute for about 1 minute - don't let it brown. Cool slightly.

Combine all ingredients and mix until it doesn't stick to the bowl. If it sticks to bowl after being well mixed, add a little more milk until it doesn't stick anymore.

Line a baking sheet or shallow roasting pan with foil. With wet hands, shape meat into a loaf.

Bake @ 350 degrees about 1 hour. Let stand about 15 minutes to retain all the juices.

The original recipe called for wrapping the loaf with slices of raw bacon before baking, but I don't bother. The meatloaf is tender and juicy and very tasty without the bacon fat and flavor. And it get nice and brown.
You can top it with ketchup or BBQ sauce, if you lilke.

Most of the time, I put peeled quartered potatoes to roast alongside the meat in the same pan. YUM