View Single Post
Old 03-31-2010, 09:34 AM
Andii

:shock:
Paper piecing...Let me first say I think I am going to love it...I am still plucking away at the February BOM-plucking it out and starting over that is :roll: I think it is going to be good once I get it down but it really is something that doesn't come naturally to me. It seems backwards and awkward. I get what I'm doing but when I try to think too much I pin the fabric backwards or make sure I have enough material but forget to flip and measure it...know what I mean?

I also notice I have to keep at it because once I walk a way for a bit the groove I get going takes awhile to get back into...like I don't retain the knowledge. I'm also handpiecing so it takes awhile. I have a machine but I like handpiecing so far.

Anyway, just a few tips for other novice piecers. When it says print extra copies of the pattern while you're learning double whatever you planned to print ;-) I thought I could reuse the pattern if I messed up but you really can't because it's perforated.

Second, try not to overthink it...because it doesn't make sense, just do it :thumbup:

Third, beeswax or thread conditioner if you're sewing by hand. Someone mentioned it to me as a tip and I didn't get it until I had finished my first block. I got it yesterday and it helps so much. I haven't been having near as many problems with tangling.

To all of you experienced ladies-does the beeswax stain the fabric in anyway? It doesn't seem to but I just wondered.
Back to my block.
Andii