View Single Post
Old 04-06-2007, 07:23 PM
Flying_V_Goddess

I want to do a quilted wall hanging of the sea map from one of my favorite video games (Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker). Unfortunatly, my copy of the game went missing a while back and I have not found it since so I can't give a very detailed description of the map (hopefully my boyfriend will remember to bring his copy next time he's up so I'll get to work out the details). All I can really tell you is that the actual map part is 7x7 squares, the background (or the color of the "paper") is a goldenrod color but just a tad bit lighter, and it has a thick border going along the right side that has a compass in the lower corner.

Even though I don't completely know what the end result should look like, I've already got a few small problems:

1. All of the islands (maybe with the exception of a few) cannot be pieced together. They're going to have to be appliqued on. I don't know a whole lot about the actual process of applique. I'd preferably like info on machine applique since I probably wouldn't be good at hand applique because my hand sewing skills aren't all that great (my boyfriend can hand sew better than me and it looks like it was done by a five year old, but it at least holds the two pieces of fabric together.)

2. I don't want to go with a solid, goldenrod fabric yet I don't want a fabric with a pattern. Maybe something with a "weathered" look to it. I haven't seen a fabric like that, but maybe you guys might know something I don't and recommend a fabric.

3. I'm debating whether or not I should cross-stitch the names of the islands onto each block or just leave it alone.

4. What do you think would be a good size for a quilted wall hanging? Not extremely huge, but not too small.