Thread: I need Help :o
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2010, 06:50 PM
pennyswings

Location: Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(

Originally Posted by OLDNTATTED
I am starting a new quilt: I have a yard of this (dragon print) and three yards of each of Black, Red, and White, with some leftover gray. I am thinking about doing a crazy trim job around the designs of the center dragon, applaque' that in the center piece of white fabric with some kind of Traponto work to that, then use the other colors as well to frame out the so called (madallion) with some kind of pieced blocks to fill out the rest of top. See Pics... What do you think?
Here is my opinion and you will have many others. So here goes.....first off the dragon material is spectacular, why would you want to cut it up and do applique of the dragon?? I would use the dragon and it's background like a panel, that way it would pull the other colors you are showing into the quilt and give it some harmony. Don't bring too many other colors in, I like the ones you have chosen. Also don't use too busy a block to surround it. You don't want to detract from the dragon as he is the focal point of the quilt. Do something simple and oriental. like an applique over a border simulating a Japanese screen.