Old 04-02-2010, 09:30 PM
JoanneS

This subject came up on Pittsburgh Pam's thread about her recent accident. Someone mentioned that a neurologist said chiropractors are quacks, and I disagreed. Rather than 'kidnap' Pam's thread, I wrote that I would start a new one on the subject, so here I am. I imagine this will start a controvesy.

My Chiropractor barely covers his overhead expenses with what Medicare pays him for my visits. That's one of the reasons it makes my blood boil to hear someone call Chiropractors quacks. He has a very busy practice, and if I had not been a patient and good friend for 30+ years, he probably wouldn't accept me as a NEW patient. He simply wouldn't be able to afford it.

In CT, my Neurologist and Chiropractor REFER PATIENTS TO EACH OTHER. They recognize that they each have something valuable to offer patients. Last summer, my chiropractor got me out of severe pain in 5 treatments. The neurologist that called chiropractors quacks would have probably recommended surgery. I say that, because it's happened to me before. In 1978, both an Osteo Surgeon & a Neurosurgeon recommended surgery.

Fortunately, I sought another Neuro opinion, and that was how I was first referred to my chiropractor. Back surgery is successful in eliminating pain less than 50% of the time. My spine is a minefield of problems, worsening with age. However, I'm still VERY active. I've found that vigorous daily exercise is one of the key reasons. That and regular visits with various doctors and my chiropractor. LOL I was slowed down a bit with a frozen shoulder from Oct through March, but I'm almost back to my 'old' self (pun intended), and I've finally started sewing again.

I've been on the cusp of osteoporosis for YEARS, and I've finally agreed to start taking Boniva. I had to stop taking GERD medicine, because it causes osteoporosis. At age 70, I had to decide which was worse, and I decided to limit my diet to prevent as much acid reflux as possible, so I could live without the GERD med.

Over the years, I've discovered that I can keep my back in good shape through a combination of daily exercises PLUS seeing my chiropractor regularly to 'adjust' my back to keep it flexible. It works for me and many others.