View Single Post
Old 04-03-2010, 01:53 PM
Pamela Artman

I grew up watching my grandmother make quilts. My mother made a baby quilt for my first born by embroidering blocks traced from coloring books. When I was expecting my second, I was staying with her until the baby was born while my husband went out of state to finish college. She was working and quite busy, so she said, "If you want to start embroidering these blocks, I'll help and then make you a baby quilt." So, I embroidered them all and she said "If you want to sew those together, I'll quilt it." So, I cut the sashings and sewed the blocks together. Then she said, "If you want to start quilting it, I'll help and together we'll get it finished. So, I started quilting it. I can't remember for sure, but I think she may have sewn on the binding when I was done! LOL But it got me hooked. That was 35 years ago! There was a period of time when I was busy raising a family and was not actively quilting, but when my kids were grown, I jumped back into quilting and haven't stopped since. About 10 years ago, I joined a guild, met my best quilting friend and about 7 years ago, we started taking a quilting vacation every year. About 4 years ago, I started teaching a class at my church. Now, I'm starting a private quilt retreat business to combine my 3 loves, quilting, teaching and traveling! I will plan a retreat for 6-8 women in different locations around the midwest.