View Single Post
Old 04-03-2010, 02:25 PM
Gal

I learned to sew from my Mother who sewed our clothes and made curtains for the house etc, she loved to embroider and make her own designs, both my Grans did much the same thing, they also made scrap rugs. When I left school I went to work in a fabric shop and used to sew all my own clothes. I pretty much stayed in that trade all my life, apart from my painting, I have worked in every kind of fabric dept, sewing for weddings and even cutains and home furishings, but I had never made a quilt. Back in the seventies I made a pile of hand sewn Grand Mothers Flower Garden paper pieces, I still have them, thought I was going to make a quilt but I did not know how much work was involved!! Perhaps one day I might get them out! I have always loved quilts and one day when I retired I thought that is what I am going to take up doing and I am in the process of learning quilting skills now. Having been a sewer all these years is a big help. I thought I would be machine sewing everything untill I tried hand quilting and now I am hooked!!!! I shall be machine piecing and hand quilting in the future. I would like to make some of my own designs since I am also an artist, and can make my quilts unique, but I have a lot to learn yet.

Gal