View Single Post
Old 04-03-2010, 03:57 PM
Rainy Day

Hi folks,
I am new here and new to quilting. I am an accidental quilter - I sewed a lot of clothes when I was younger (before my kid) for my best friend, including her wedding dress and our bridesmaid dresses. I used to make repro vintage stuff in the 80s.
She was the quilter, as was her mother and sister. She had three boys, and I had sewed them lots of clothes over the years, which she was using to make a memory quilt - tiny squares, all hand sewn. All the boys had worn them, so they were each getting a piece of each shirt, jeans, anything cotton I had made, over the years.
In 2007, she lost her life to cancer. I inherited her stash, and the unfinished memory blocks.
I hate hand sewing, so I decided I would learn to quilt, to finish them off. Her sons can all sew, so we would be working on this together. We finished one quilt, for the oldest boy, now a young man on his way interstate to university.
Lots of effort, much tears and laughter. THEN, he says - I can't take this to Uni, it might get stolen, can we make another one.
So, I agreed to make it for him, using all new fabrics. I had to go to quilting school, and we agreed that I would have it finished for his birthday, on April 25. I'm getting there, but it is not a fancy pieced one - it is pretty basic. I am not good at deadlines, but I hope I can make this one.
I will post some photos when I work out how to do this.
Thanks for listening. :-)