Old 04-04-2010, 07:42 AM
amma
Power Poster

Originally Posted by k3n
Salmon that turned out beautiful! Regarding the ripple effect, that could be that some of those edges on the 60° bias got slightly pulled out of shape - it happens! Try the starch and press gently, NO WIGGLING! :lol: Next time, (and I'm sure there WILL be one!) you could try starching your layers before you cut the strips/triangles and maybe a be a bit more gentle with those poor little triangles! Did you turn them here and there rather than keeping the straight of grain always on the outer edges? Of course, you CAN turn them but I find that then you have to be really careful not to pull them out of true. I only do the turning thing if I feel I have to, because of this. :-D
I have been thinking this over a lot... I bet this is why some of my blocks puffed.... I had starched my fabric stiff, handled the pieces gently, but I did turn them every which way but loose to see the different effects :roll: I just couldn't help myself :lol:
I haven't added the borders to mine yet...so I think glue basting them may be a good idea... The glue should help to stabilize the edges even more.

I will try keeping the straight of grain on the outsides next time around and I bet the puffines decreases, thanks for mentioning this k3n :D:D:D