View Single Post
Old 04-05-2010, 06:39 AM
imjustme

When I was about 16 I lived with my daughters fathers family (long story) in Virginia. His mother and grandmother made quilts. They would sit for hours and hand sew them together and then tie them. I never helped them just sat and watched. Then I decided I wanted to do it to, but with a machine. I knew how to use the sewing machine because my mother always sewed. She would make me and my brother clothes and such. In high school I could pick 2 electives. I got to pick one and my mother chose the other. She is mentally handicap and has issues learning. She liked to pick home ec so I could show her what I had learned.
Anyway I made a quilt for her and one for my brother. They are old and fallen apart. She still has them somewhere. She said she wants to fix them one day. I would like to have my brothers back because he passed away (September 20 will be 2 yrs). I miss him soo very much. It still feels like yesterday. I have all his clothes and plan to make lap quilts out of them. I just still haven't built up the courage to do it. I wish someone could come over and hold my hand to help me get it done.
I have picked up and put down sewing several times over the years, but I really don't think I will stop anymore. Having this board and all the friends I have made helps me when I need advice, or get stuck, and helps keep me motivated.