View Single Post
Old 04-05-2010, 08:03 AM
newbie1001

Originally Posted by lnordyke
Originally Posted by newbie1001
Hi, I'm relatively new to quilting and the forum. So far I've only made a couple of baby size quilts. My biggest problem is the free motion quilting. I sew on a Janome DC 2010 and the throat is only 5.5" or so. I've been reading on this forum and other places on the internet that most people seem to roll up or crumple up their quilts in order to fit them into the throat. Even though I'm working with small quilts, I find it really uncomfortable, it seems like my right arm and hand always have to make an effort to go around that bulk and get a good grip on the right side of my work. A friend of mine gave me her Flynn frame to try out. I didn't like that thing, but it gave me an idea. When free motion, why not turn the machine 90 degree so that the throat is behind the needle (just like you do using that frame)? I've just tried it out and it works so much better for me! Seems like the only rolled up part will always be behind the needle towards the throat, the sides will always be free! Does anyone quilt like this or can think of a reason not to get into the habit of doing this?

Would appreciate your input. Thanks!
I may try your method of turning my machine, but I'm going to have to figure out how to do that because my machine is down in the cabinet that my DH built for me. If I turn it, I'd need to move it to another table????? Anyway, I have a DC 2010 also and have quilted 2 queen-size quilts on it. I have found that if I keep my right hand on the quilt and the bulk of the "roll" under the throat is positioned on top of my hand, I have more room to maneuver the quilt. Does this make any sense?
You got me a little confused here, if the bulk of the quilt is on top of your right hand, how do you manage to get your right hand onto the quilt?

I'm not sure how all this would work with a sewing cabinet, but I have a 5 x 4 table. One cutout so far is in the right hand front corner, so I have plenty of room left of and behind the machine. Now I would need a second cutout in the center front.