Old 04-06-2010, 06:55 AM
salmonsweet

I'm so proud. :D

These are my first square-based blocks.

Except for a grandmother's fan I made about 20 years ago. Plus I've been English-paper piecing hexagons and playing with OBWs, which don't really require precision for points and corners.

I drafted the patterns myself. I took the Crossed Canoes from quilt pictures I googled, and the Starflower from Judy Mathieson's mariners compass design tutorial in one of her books.

Done with freezer paper. There's no way I could have pieced these the traditional way. The freezer paper even lets me use fussy cuts, which I couldn't figure out how to do properly with sew-through foundation piecing.

I want the inner applique circle on the starflower to be smoother and the stitching smaller, will get better with practice. To get the outer circle to be actually circular (so I could use contrasting fabric if I want), I just bought a small PVA glue bottle with a tiny applicator for glue basting, so hopefully better success next time!

Overall, I'm just so pleased, and excited to share! And wanting to make more. :D

My first blocks!!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]46436[/ATTACH]

Crossed Canoes
[ATTACH=CONFIG]46484[/ATTACH]

Starflower
[ATTACH=CONFIG]46485[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-46436.jpe   attachment-46484.jpe   attachment-46485.jpe