Old 04-06-2010, 01:12 PM
bronnyb

Originally Posted by nursie76
So wonderful you were able to share something so special with you dad. It is really a one of a kind work of art, just especially for him. Thanks for sharing the joy, the pics are great!

I am not sure if I missed it, but is "The Music Man" of significance for your dad? I would assume so with the helmet and wig, but could you share a little more back ground please?
Dad has been playing the cornet in his local brass band since the age of 7. He was born with very little calf muscle - a type of polio - and when his sister was being taught piano, he would sit and watch and repeat the lesson later, note for note (as we are told). One day the teacher saw Dad playing and told his parents that they were wasting their time on his sister, and Dad took over the lessons. Music became such a focus as he was unable to play sports with other boys his age.
By the time I came along, Dad was an accomplished musician and High School music teacher at 5 different schools. Up until last year, he was the Band Master at Horsham (Vic). He still has students coming to his house.
I saw this panel and knew it was the right one for him - and it truly has turned out as I had envisaged it. I followed no printed pattern, just made it up as I went along.
The viking helmet and wig was a gag from my brother, that I'm not completely up to speed on. Something to do with him charging down the road on his new 'Go-fer', hair streaming in the wind! My brother's partner calls him 'Sherman' - not sure where that comes from either.
As the youngest, I'm spoilt rotten and I got more brownie points with both my children: John is a guitarist - at 17 starting a career in blues music. Harry is his namesake who is considering carpentry as a career - Dad started off as a carpenter.

hmmmm sorry for the long post, but I love my Dad, and can talk about him lots.

hugs
bronny