View Single Post
Old 04-07-2010, 09:18 AM
amma
Power Poster

Print out some coloring book pages, houses or other things with simple straight lines. Set your stitch length as long as you can and let her practice stitching on the lines. Draw straight lines on paper and let her stitch decorative stitches on the lines, just widen out the stitch and lengthen it too, pick ones that aren't really tight designs, At the same time you are teaching her how to safely use the sewing machine. Then move onto sewing 6 1/2" inch blocks together... 4 blocks by 6 blocks would make a nice sized blanket and would let you see how interested she really is in sewing....

Since you sew clothes, sewing some simple aprons for her dolls would be fun, as well as other items, pillows to go with her doll quilt, etc... :D:D:D

Maybe give her some scraps and a needle and thread too... glue baste the blocks seam lines together and then draw a seam line on them for her as a sewing guide. Keep doing this until she has a doll quilt top together.

Embroider out designs for a doll quilt blocks/doll aprons... watching the machine stitch out should keep her fascinated, it still does me!!! LMBO

Scissors, old magazines, elmers glue and copy paper....

Play dough make from flour and salt, she can help to make it.

I throw the makings for bread in my bread maker... when the dough is made, I let the kids knead and play with a little of it, and then help to shape the rest into fun shaped dinner rolls. Sometimes we roll out little pieces and spread on a little margarine, sugar and cinnamon and then we roll them into logs, fold them over a couple of times and pinch the edges, use round cookie cutters, whatever comes to mind and let them rise and bake. I have also added chopped up fresh fruit to these too :wink: