View Single Post
Old 04-07-2010, 10:13 AM
Rhonda
Power Poster

We have a 2 yr old gray cockatiel named Snickers or Miss Snick which is perfect for her because she thinks she runs our house! If she hears you flush the stool she starts screaming for attention and won't quit til you talk to her. She has a whistle that sounds exactly like come here and another that is right now!!

She has learned to talk all on her own. She can say Pretty Girl that are clearly words and not just whistle. She uses it to call me to come to her. When she wants my attention she will say it over and over! She used to say Good Girl but haven't heard it lately.

I have had birds off and on since I was really little. I grew up with parakeets and have had several cockatiels over the years and parakeets too.

I talked a lady into giving me her Myna Bird when I met her at the Vets. She was going to have him put down as she couldn't keep him. She had taught him to say 17 differant things. His name was Charlie. He was such a hoot!! The kids would set up dominoes under the chairs at the dining table and Charlie would sit off to the side and wait til they were done. Then he would run over and tap the first dominoe and as they fell into each other in a pattern he would laugh loud and long!! So funny!!
He could bark like a big dog or yip like a little dog. He had two differant meows. He said Charlie is a poopoo bird!(which my kids thought was hilarious!) He answered the phone when it rang(not really just acted like it!) He had two differant Hellos one went Hellllloooooooah! He was a blast. But unfortunately one of our outside cats snuck into the house and had gotten upstairs(the birdcage sat downstairs to the left of the stair door) and the cat came streaking down the stairs and ran outside and scared Charlie and he fell down dead. I do miss him but that has been many years ago now!!

We had a cockatiel get loose one time and the people in the neighborhood who saw him called me. They had gotten together as a group and with a sheet had caught him. The birds were attacking him and they took pity on him. So I figured he was gone for good but we got him back which was a miracle!!

So who had birds and what stories do you have to tell?