Old 04-08-2010, 07:12 PM
Flying_V_Goddess

I've been trying to write a Letter to the Editor to encourage other gardeners in my area to plant extra to help those less fortunate. I think I have a good start, but I'm not sure how to finish it. Here's what I got so far:

When many people think of hunger their minds go to the image of a little boy from Africa suffering from starvation and malnutrition. However, hunger isn't a problem that only occurs in a far off third world country. Its happening here in America, a land that's supposed to be of oppurtunity and wealth, as more people nowadays struggle to make ends meet. And its not only occuring in bigger cities where the problem is more apparent. Its a problem that's even reached in small towns like Black River Falls.

According to the US Department of Agriculture, one in six Americans experiance or are at risk of hunger---that's over 50 million people! Some of these Americans have to make a painful choice between getting their next meal or paying the bills, deciding to forgo food because it seems easier to deal with hunger than threatening letters from the landlord or the electric company. Some of these Americans are children who go hungry during the weekend because home doesn't offer free meals like their school does during lunch hour.

Hunger is a problem in our country----no, its a tradegy. A tradegy because we could be doing more to help. WE're wuick to donate money and organize televised charity events when natural disaster strikes in other countries, but we don't seem to jump the gun to help our own citizens with problems that haven't suddenly happened like an earthquake or tsunami.

Gardeners could really be valueable in easing the burden of those who've fallen on tough times. I encourage ever gardener to utilize their skills to help those in need. In the next few weeks when you're getting your gardens ready plant a little extra to donate to groups such as Friends Sharing Food or people you personally know who are having trouble getting by. Planting an extra row or even just afew extra plants in your garden can make a big differece for someone less fortunate. If you personally know someone who is having trouble getting by food wise, teach them how to grow their own food----whether it be a sizable garden in their own backyard or a single plant from a large flower pot.