View Single Post
Old 04-09-2010, 07:31 AM
OmaForFour

That brought tears to my eyes.

Originally Posted by IrishNY
We all have one quilt that stands out for some reason to us. Maybe it's because it was a pattern you weren't sure you could make, or it went to a special person, or it was to celebrate a landmark event in your life. Tell us about it.

Mine was a quilt that I made for my grandmother's 90th birthday. She loved roses and the color light aqua and I based it around a fabric that had both. I killed myself to finish it in time for the party, including sewing on the binding in one of my doctoral seminars. She was thrilled with it but then said "I am going to hang it up because it is so pretty and I don't want anything to happen to it". :shock: I said "you're 90 - if you wear it out, I'll make you a new one" and she laughed. But she used it and she enjoyed it. She died about 18 months later, having napped under it many days during that time. My aunt gave it back to me and when I want to feel close to her, I pull it out and sit under it.

She told me later that I was the only person to ever make her a quilt - and she had 12 kids and 49 grandchildren including a bunch of quilters. That made me feel pretty good.