View Single Post
Old 05-10-2008, 05:40 AM
babeegirl
Banned

This isn't a recipe per se....I just wanted to share some basic changes I made to my diet and I'm soooooooo happy with the results!

Cut out:
Sodas/any drinks with more than 2 carbs per serving
Breads/pizza crust, biscuits
Processed foods with carbs/ boxed potatoes things like that
Pretty much anything with over 5 carbs per serving

Replace with:
Water or low carb drinks
Whole wheat bread, I limit myself to 6 slices or 3 sandwiches per week
Non-fried meats/I stick with the Carl Buddig packages of ham, turkey for sandwiches
Bananas and fruits for snacking
Low carb yogurt instead of ice cream
Salads with low fat/carb dressing
Fat free cottage cheese intead of potato dishes

Basically I started reading labels. I was astounded at the amount of carbs per serving in a lot of foods and how small the servings really were. I started adding up daily what I'd eat in carbs alone and I couldn't believe it. I cut down from 500+ grams of carbs per day to 20 to 40 per day and put myself on a carbohydrate budget. if I spend more than my 40 in one day I have to make it up the next day. I also started walking 2 miles every other night. I've lost 15lbs in about 45 days! yay! I can't bring myself to give up chocolate though!

For example: Doritos Tortilla chips (which I love btw)

One serving is only 11 chips, 11! and for that 11 chips you get 17 grams of carbohydrates and 8 grams of fat. That's half of my daily carb budget in those 11 chips that don't do a thing to take away the hungries. For that same 17 grams of carbs, I can have a huge salad with lowfat/carb dressing and half a package of the Carl Buddig ham chopped up on top. Watch those salad bars though! Things like bacon bits, nuts, croutons, etc. will add sneaky carbs in.