View Single Post
Old 04-09-2010, 03:31 PM
meemersmom

Originally Posted by hazeljane
The whole disappearing marker thing makes me nervous. Where does one get a disappearing marker, and how do you use it? I have some chalk, So I guess I could do a template and chalk it right before I quilt. i had this vision that people marked their whole quilt before putting it on the frame. Is that not so?

Depends. Are you going to do a free-motion design on your 30s quilt (beautiful, btw)? I picked up this tip from a quilting teacher. Have a piece of clear plexiglass cut to a size useful for you (I have an 18x24 piece). Spread your quilt out on a table and put the plexi on top of it. Draw in your designs on the plexi using one of those dry-erase markers. You can then audition several patterns or free-motion designs and not have sewn a single stitch (that would need to be taken out because you don't like it!!). I wrapped the edges of the plexi w/ blue painters tape to protect my hands from sharp edges, and also so I don't accidentally go over the edge and on to the quilt w/ the marker. This has helped me quite a bit. You can also trace a quilting pattern from a book and then lay the plexi on the quilt to see if it fits where you want to put it. Have fun!!