Thread: spray basting
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2010, 07:06 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

I read the article, but have some problems with it.

It's unclear to me how the writer knows that polyester batting was responsible for the seam line coming apart. There are other reasons why seam lines come apart -- such as inadequate quilting (causing seams, the weakest part of the quilt, to be subjected to stress from washing, wear, etc.), a combination of loose weave in the fabric and long stitches, etc.

I'd like to see how the research was done on the basting sprays, but there was no link to the research and no mention of where it was published. I'd especially like to know which basting sprays were tested and how long they were left in the fabric to determine that they caused yellowing or loss of fabric strength. Did they artificially age the spray with heat?

I am suspicious of the conclusions because of the statement that polyester therad is stronger than cotton. Bob at Superior Threads demonstrates that this is not necessarily so, and shows how at least some of the polyester thread sold is actually weaker than cotton thread. (Youtube has a video clip of this demo, I think; otherwise it's on the Superior Thread website).

I personally use only traditional 100% cotton batting in my quilts because I like the way it gets softer with every washing. In my experience, it really is better and longer-lasting than polyester. It's possible that poly batting wears out fabric from the inside; I just don't see the science that would justify reaching that conclusion.