Old 04-10-2010, 05:13 AM
grammypatty7

Originally Posted by Fabricnut
I just read all the logs on washing FQ before using them. I guess I better start washing fabric before cutting it. But do you wash the completed quilt once it is finished? How do you do that if you do? How do you dry the quilt if washed? I just finished 2 quilts. Thanks you your input.
I normally wash a quilt before I give it to the recipient and I wash it in Tide in my washing machine and tumble dry in my dryer. A queen takes 2 or 3 times. It's necessary to take it out, shake it out and reposition it in the dryer. Everyone since the very first two that were hand pieced and hand quilted are still in use today and looking pretty good as several are over 20 years old now. If a stain gets on them I spot treat with oxy clean and then wash as usual. I do NOT pre-wash my fabrics before quilting. I like mine to shrink a bit after quilting as it adds a puff and dimension to the quilt. This is one of those personal preference issues. I'm not fond of the perfectly flat quilts and my family and I all prefer the dimension added when a quilt puffs a bit - they look and are comfy cuddlers.