Old 04-10-2010, 03:21 PM
grammypatty7

Originally Posted by dsb38327
Richbrote, your quilts are awesome!
QuiltingQueen, I didn't think to smell the Walmart fabric. Wish I had. Just an interesting point. I am glad you mentioned it. I have noticed the shrinkage.
Grammypatty7, (I like your user name!) I also feel my quilts are more inviting to snuggle after I wash and fabric softner them. I wash each new quilt from 3 to 5 times right away. (Vinegar soak each time.) If anything wiggles out of place I want to know it before it leaves home.
I think I might do it in part because I want to handle them and enjoy them some before they go away.
Penny Doty, thank-you so much for reminding me that some people are alergic to laundry detergent. I wash my quilts and afghans in the Walmart store brand detergent and fabric softner. I have never had anyone mention a reaction but maybe they wouldn't tell me if they had one. I have never once thought about it. Maybe they know to wash before using it if they know they are allergic? OOOOPs, my bad. I will have to think about this for awhile. UMMMMMMMM. Anyone know what detergent people are less alergic to? A whole new topic. Ummmmm.
Allergies to soaps and detergents: my daughter and her children are allergic to tide and Downey which is what I use and I can't stand the product she uses but she knows that when her family gets a quilt from me it will "smell pretty" and for some she will have to re-wash it while others love to snuggle and smell how pretty it smells. We have more allergies to the world than most people I know. Most people with major allergy issues will know what to do to protect themselves but at least my quilt will go to them fresh and clean and the colors are definitely set.

My user name is that I am Grammy, named Patty and have 7 grandchildren who call me Grammy so a practical user name there. Initially I signed in as Patty and saw there are a few other Patty's so decided to add the GrammyPatty7 to make me perhaps rememberable.