View Single Post
Old 04-09-2007, 06:01 PM
ButtercreamCakeArtist

I don't remember at what age it was that I started sewing. I'm sure it was in the single digits. I mean, I didn't really complete anything spectacular, but the small things meant a lot to me at the time. I think I was happier that it made my Mom happy than I was with the actual product.
I have a HUGE interest in "things" in general. I want/need/love to know how things work. I am way too observative from most ppl's point of view. That's just one easy way to put it. I have to know what makes things work. My brain is very "OVERACTIVE'. :D
I think the best way to learn things that I'm curious about is TO DO THOSE THINGS. If I like what it is that I'm trying, I'll keep studying and doing it until I get really good at it.
Maybe the explanation above is a little more that what you've asked, but I am the ultimate over-thinker, and that makes me the ultimate over-writer! :lol: I'm silly.
BUT....anyway, I love creativity. Quilting is one of the best ways I've found to show off some of that creativity. Pretty much anything goes for quilting. You can completely design your own pattern, or follow one you like, but it is still going to be uniquely yours because of the color choice options for the fabrics, and just the uniqueness of each individual's quilting/sewing style. :D
My MIL bought some quilt squares for me to embroider about 6+ years ago. She does those, and I thought it was cool. I embroidered a bunch of them, but I haven't worked on them for quite some time. Eventually they will make it into a quilt.
I've also found it cheaper to make my own things, too. So that is another reason I got into sewing/quilting. I make things the way I want them. That way it will be made to my standards from the beginning.
And my favorite thing to tell why I've gotten into doing things myself is because they will be uniquely MINE! Nobody else will have one just exactly like it-whatever it may be. :) yay! NOw, did I really answer the question, or just skip all the way around it? The simple answer I could've given: I like to make stuff. :lol: