View Single Post
Old 04-10-2010, 07:05 PM
BarbM32

If I was short of cash I would consider a used machine. Some of the older models, all metal, quite heavy, in a carrying case or a cabinet are fantastic. Look around, take your time. It is possible to find a clean little used or well took care of machine. An older model that does not zig zag will give you a straight sewing line and holds the stitches firmer together. If your machine zigzags then it will not make as straight a sew line.
The older machines do not cost much and are a jewel to use and own. I am speaking from experience. For quilting I use my old straight stitch Singer. Also use it for clothing or home deco. They seldom break, just keep oiled and clean. I also own several embroidery/sewing machines, a Brother 4001N, a Brother 8500 and a Babylock model which is between the 8500 and the 4001. I have a computerized Janome I use for classes and my quilt groups, also several Singers from old to moderately new. My pride is a old White in a beautiful cabinet with curved drawers and front has fancy carved large wood letters, vintage 1913. I love sewing machines and finding out what one does better than the other. It can be a pleasant suprise.
My suggestion is to talk to some of the older women about their machines. Like me they probably love to give free advice and who knows you could find your buy of a lifetime, someone's pride and joy who needs a good home. You could be like me and over the years wind up becoming a collector.