View Single Post
Old 04-11-2010, 11:58 AM
Mousie
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dmackey
I have decided to start keeping a log for every quilt I make so that I will always know the cost of each quilt I complete.

I have a 3 ring note book to keep beside my cutting table, and each quilt will get it's own page, where I can record the time spent cutting, sewing, pressing, quilting, and binding, at $10 per hour. I'll also include the amount of fabrics used and the price of each fabric., along with any other pertinent info about the quilt.

I am also going to create a log book for my fabrics. Every time I purchase fabric, I'll record where I got it, manufacturer, and price, along with a 2x2 sample so that I can be as accurate as possible in my own costs for what goes into each quilt. I normally buy yardage rather than precuts, so it won't be that daunting to do.

I was driven to this by the way people look so astounded when you tell them what it costs to make a quilt...especially when they are asking you to do it for free, because we are "friends." All of my quilts so far have gone to those I love or for charity.

I have never sold a quilt, nor have I ever charged anyone to make one, but I have had numerous people ask and I have either turned them down or told them starting price is $600 to help them realize what they are asking of me.

I do think creating quilts for profit is in my future, so I would think this would be the best way for me to determine pricing quotes.

Have any of you created anything similar? Do you have any suggestions?

Diane
Hi Diane,
Like you, I have never sold anything, but yes ma'am, I have been logging all fabric information for at least five years.
I have spiral notebooks. I am on my shh! third one.
I learned to tape the actual receipt on the page. all pages are numbered and dated same as receipt.
On my receipts I usually use a pencil to draw a line under each purchase of fabric or quilting/sewing stuff.
I usually purchase these things separately from other things, so I can have receipts to make exchanges on household stuff.
I write a very brief description of fabric. Items are numbered. I tape a sample of the fabric from the selvedge edge on the page.
I make a tag, either from masking tape, or scrap paper that says:
The description of fabric
yardage
book number, page number, item number, and
I always put w_ d_ i_ on it, for: wash, dry, iron to check off.
It sounds very compulsive and a little time consuming.
I suppose, but I can pick up any, and I mean any piece of fabric in my sewing room and not only tell you when I bought it, how much is in that folded piece, where it came from, how old it is, what kind of fabric it is, it helps me remember stuff that was going on at the time.
I remember pretty much what it's going into, bc most of my fabrics are bundled for particular ppl and/or projects.
When I start using it, I can record how much of it was used, if there are leftovers and figure out how much that cost me.
I love doing this. It makes me feel organized and mousie loves organization!
I reccommend it if it's something you think you could enjoy.
It gives me a lot of satisfaction about my purchases etc.
i guess i am easily amused.:thumbup: