View Single Post
Old 04-11-2010, 12:52 PM
Pati- in Phx

First, be very careful about buying a "name brand" machine on line. Make sure that the dealer is an "authorized dealer". If not, you have no warranty. It may cost a bit more, but it is really worth while to purchase a machine from a local dealer that includes classes in how to use the machine and local service under warranty. <G>

I don't sell machines now, have in the past. <G> But remember you are buying more than a piece of equipment. You are also buying the service and all that goes along with it. Make sure the service people, at least the ones you can have contact with are reasonable/you can get along with them. That is almost as important as the actual machine.

My current main machine is heading for its retirement. Parts are no longer being made, remaining ones are scarce. So I am also exploring machine options. <G>
Suggestions:
1. Make a list of what you really need to have on a machine (needle up/down, speed control, specific stitches, and so on.)
2. Include things you really don't want to have. (I am not interested in another embroidery machine. Don't use the one I have, don't want to spend the extra money. I also don't use the free arm so can easily do without it.)
2B: also list what you would like to have, but aren't "musts".
3. Figure out what you will be sewing on the machine. Take samples with you, scraps are fine. Include piecing/ sewing over multiple seams in the middle of a seam, a quilting sandwich or two. A sample of your favorite type of stabilizer(s) with fabric for decorative stitching. and so on. Be sure to sit down and try these out. (If a dealer won't let you use your own fabric for testing, I would find out why. And probably walk away if they wouldn't let me use my fabric pieces. )
4. Ask questions, about everything. Icons on the machine seem confusing? Ask. Can you easily adjust: needle position, pressure foot pressure, tension of top and bottom threads, change stitch selection. And ask about free motion work and walking foot if you use them. Check to see if the pressure feet are proprietary or can you use generic feet (or ones you already have.) What feet are available?(Especially ones that you use a lot.)

Don't be pressured into a decision. And ask about upgrading and return policies, as well as warranty stuff.

Lots to think about, but Take some time and check out as many machines as you can. There are lots of good brands out there, but there isn't a "one fits all". Your favorite may not be another's favorite. That is fine. Find the one that fits you best.

Pati, in Phx