View Single Post
Old 04-12-2010, 12:01 AM
PurpleBecca

Originally Posted by alaskasunshine
Originally Posted by PurpleBecca
I made this quilt for a friend who used to quilt - she asked me to make a quilt using her favorite blocks.

She loves blues and purples and she wanted something not so traditional.

I added in subtle references to her children and in the piano key border I quilted all the names of her special friends and relations.
Your friend is gonna love it! It is stunning!!!

Hee hee - She got the quilt three days before Christmas and she nearly had a fit!!! She LOVED IT! I have been over to the UK since and seen it on her bed and its JUST RIGHT!!

The piecing is very bad - the blocks don't all line up -but it was the first full sized (about 100 inched square) that I made - and I was following several lots of instructions from different books for the different blocks. If I was starting it again today - I would draft out the blocks on paper myself and get them all the same size! I learned a lot!!

I have since learned how to make a border fit properly and also how to bind 'properly' so the next full size will be better!!

On the machine quilting - As I love hand work so much (see my lifes work quilt!) I have always hand quilted - but also because I couldn't handle all that quilt under the machine. I really love my machine so I always wanted to machine quilt....

A fellow quilter told me to divide the quilt into small areas - so when I tacked the three layers together at 4 inch intervalls, I added a red line of stitching here and there and divided it up into 8 areas - much smaller and easier to manage.... worked really well for me.