Thread: fusible web
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2010, 07:23 AM
QBeth

Originally Posted by Katiequilts
I'm new to quilting and I need HELP!! My instructions call for "laying the fusible webbing paper side up on the fabric. My fusible web did not come with paper. It was from a bolt at the fabric store with some plastic between it. I tried just ironing it on but it dissolved all over my iron. What should I use as paper?
Here's my best guess... your fusible actually has paper on it. Feel a piece of it. Turn it in different directions. Is one side rougher than the other? Does that rough side have a sheen to it? Is that the side you ironed on? If yes, then that shiny stuff is the fusible, the other side the paper.

To test, cut a small piece of the fusible, about a two inch square. Iron it, with shiny side down, onto a scrap piece of fabric. Now, on one corner, try separating the paper from the fabric. It can be frustrating, separating the two, so don't give up too easily. What should be left is the shiny (fusible) stuff. If you iron a piece of fabric (larger than the first one) onto to fused piece, the two pieces of fabric should stick together. Good luck!