View Single Post
Old 04-13-2010, 06:32 AM
bettyjo

I work weekends at the front desk at a Rehab hospital for people who have strokes, amputees, etc.. not drugs and such.. Because I am there to greet visitors, tell them where they need to go and to answer the phone, I have free time and I hand quilt or embroidery. Most of the patients are elderly and the guys tell me they remember their mom quilting and many of the women have quilted and embroideried too. Last Sunday was my day!! One visitor that I had helped the patient get in and settled, brought me the last (probably 15 yards) of a nice white cotton fabric they had used for table cloths at a wedding. A patient brought me two pillow cases she had embroideried. (beautiful flowers!!) and the last was a visitor that I comment on his tie.. it was woven with small squares on point of purple, blue, black and gray in rows... with a solid line diagonal every 6th row. He saw the quilt I was working on and told me how much he admired women who did such.. He remembered how hard his grandmother worked and quilted..... He told me when he got tired of the tie, he would give it to me.. As he started out.. he turned... removed his tie & gave it to me!!! now to take it to the fabric store and match colors!!!

colors much prettier on tie than in photo
Attached Thumbnails attachment-56138.jpe