Old 04-13-2010, 07:18 AM
miholmes

Well I don't have a very exciting story, but here it is.

When I was about 8 or 9 my family loaded up the old Thunderbird filled with Crystal Gayle 8-tracks and drove from Iowa to North Carolina where my grandmother lived.

She quilted and had a large quilt frame that was weighted in the living room. It was attached to something that allowed it to be raised and lowered.

I just remember watching her and my mother sitting around the living room in the evening and quilting. They would sit there for hours talking and quilting and I would play under the quilt.

Anyway I was never SUPER interested in it at that time, I used to help them occasionally when I was REALLY bored, but there was a whole mountain to explore so I normally only quilted alittle on the days it rained or when my mother would call me in for the night, and I didn't want to go to bed.

We spent the entire summer there, and then drove back to Iowa. We didn't really see my grandmother that much because of the distance, but she would send quilts to us in the mail, one of them I remember was a Snoopy quilt she made for me.

I've always liked quilts, there something comforting and "folksey" about them. Wrapping up in them on a cold winter's day or listening to the rain fall outside your window. They have always seemed to be a source of comfort for me.

I recently got married and recieved an Amish quilt as a wedding gift, it was SPECTACULAR...there was a small card that came with it that had the woman's name on it and said 1 woman, 1 needle. And I thought....WOW....that was a lot of hardwork and hours put into making that quilt.

I volunteer for an animal rescue and thought, wouldn't it be GREAT if I could make some "Critter Quilts" for people to buy at the farmers market in the summer? Basically a quilted dog mat?

So I started gathering supplies and set out to do that for my first project. However a friend of mine had a baby, so my first quilt ever was a baby quilt. THEN I made a twin quilt to auction for our dog rescue, then another quilt...I have YET to make a critter quilt. But it's still on my list.

Quilting just relaxes me, there is something to be said when you are working in front of you machine and you kinda of hit a rhythem, where it's just you and the machine, and your only worry is your 1/4 inch seam allowance. :)

Well anyway, that's why I started quilting and how I feel about it.